5/11/2008

3rd time

This was another milestone in my poker career as I track my winnings and losings. I've been told by friends who care about my well being to quit while I'm ahead. And I told him it doesn't work like that in poker ;)

I did great this time. I went with a game plan which was to sit and play tight/passively until an hour and just feel how the table is. After a while I noticed a few players who seemed to be decent, very selective and very aggressive (these guys had lots of chips in front of them). A few others were extremely loose players and even aggressive in bluffing. This was key to making decisions later in the game.

On one hand in particular while I was still starting my chip stack, I raised 10 dollars preflop. Most people called since I guess my table image wasn't established yet. Okay fine. I hit an Ace on the flop, giving me top pair with a good kicker so I bet 20 dollars. Everyone folds until it gets to a loose player who I know likes to bluff. He gives it a second pause and then calls. I check around to him, he bets 40 at me. I call. River comes around I check, and he pauses again looking a little trapped and decides to drop 80 dollars in the pot. I flat out called him with my heart in my throat. I knew it was the right move as something compelled me to catch this particular lie mid throw. But its always scary to just "throw" in 120+ dollars worth of calls in two rounds of betting.

I showed him my top pair. He mucked his hand. I felt great. I not only proved my worth but the entire table was shocked at the fact I only had top pair. I established a good table image. Which is key to how I work my magic.

However, one issue remained. I wasn't catching the cards! For a good solid 2 or 3 hours I was not getting anything. I was just bleeding my winnings and got back down to my starting chipstack through little forays that ultimately didn't land me anything. I was thinking I should just go ahead and leave, or play a different table. But I stayed with the knowledge that everything at this table was working except for a little luck.

And it payed off big. I won't go into too much detail but things worked out well. At this particular table I did well. After a while some cards started going my way and I have to say the luck came at the right time.

One thing I have noticed is that I start to play sloppy after 7-8 hours.....

No comments: